Friday 31 July 2009

Day 17 and 18



Ok......so somehow I (Becs) have escaped writing this blog so far....as my way with words is most definitely not one of my strongest points. As always Uganda has been such a challenge and a humbling experience. I have felt overwhelmed at times....and I have to admit at times have been very heavy hearted at what I have seen. But again God has been teaching me, that it is not up to me to solve all of Uganda’s problems.....it is our responsibility to examine our own lives under Gods word and see what He requires of us.....to bring these people before God and leave it to Him.

Yesterday, we visited the school for the blind at Salaama and the visually impaired unit at the associated secondary school. Programmes were delivered to the children at both schools and it was encouraging to see all the excellent work being done with these disadvantaged children.

Many of the cases of blindness that we saw, in the west would simply not have occurred. Some became blind after getting measles because of lack of immunisations and others from living in unhygienic conditions, with conditions being carried on household flies, and through dietary deficiency of Vitamin A. It seems so unfair that things we take for granted like immunisations, diet and hygiene, so deeply affect people here. However, it was encouraging to be at this school and see children in education as the blind in society here are not sent to school as it is seen as pointless to educate the blind. They were such joyful children, despite not being able to experience the amazing beauty within their own school grounds.
Close to this school we stopped the bus to watch a troop of monkeys do their stuff above the trees at the side of the road and got some pictures of workers harvesting tea in a field at the road side.


Today another six of our team left on an early flight this morning, leaving twelve of us still remaining. We went to a primary school within a prison compound, that had been scheduled for earlier in the week but was cancelled due to the death of a teacher from HIV related causes. The primary school was massive, with a total of about 1700 pupils. It was very difficult to begin with.....as all of us were extremely tired. The pupils were divided into two groups, primary 1 – primary 3 and primary 4 – primary 7. Wenford and Andrew worked extremely hard on concreting in the swings at the school, in extremely hot weather.
However, nothing could have prepared us for the mass number of pupils we met. We tried first of all to do the kids club with all 700 primary one – primary 3 (each year group has at least 3 classes of 80 pupils-with one teacher to each class) but it was just not possible as the children were too excited. We tried again delivering the programme three times to each individual year group. This worked and the programme was well received. The Love for Life programme was delivered by Ruth and David with the dramas being acted out by Bethany and Sarah in the packed prison church to over 1000 senior primary pupils – what a challenge. After the pupil programme input we addressed the teachers and left the pupil resources with them. What a difference teaching is in Uganda to what is the N Ireland experience.

Tonight Daniel, the headmaster of Shammah joined us for dinner. He told us of the ongoing impact in the little community near his school that we had visited two days earlier. We were able to provide him with more basic resources for his very needy community. Dad also got an opportunity to talk to Ian Clarke from International Hospital and Rory Wilson from Kiwoko Hospital (Denise and Rory had just arrived back in Kampala this afternoon). Both meetings occurred within 1 hour of each other in two separate places (total God incidence). He had the opportunity to chat around some of the medical situations we had encountered over the last two weeks. As I write this we have just receiveda text from the other six team members to say they have arrived safely in Belfast.

Well I better go here and get some much needed beauty sleep. Thanx for continuing to follow. God Bless...xo

3 comments:

  1. Hi All,
    The return journey went according to schedule, although the journey to the airport was achieved in record time, as white knuckle a ride as you will ever get, when we pulled up to the airport I turned to the driver and said "Moolaloo" which he found very amusing even though I was serious, and after changing my trousers we proceeded to the check in desk. It is great to be home though, and I got an overwhelming welcome from the kids, (Lesley is not the best at public display's of affection, frustrating in its self!!!) but I think I helped her overcome this much to the embarrassment of onlookers.
    Your day at the prison compound sounded challenging, and I was happy to hear that Wenford, and Andrew only had swings to install.As I integrate back into life at home, already I am counting my blessings with running water to brush my teeth, and getting into bed without having first to set up a Mossy net, (although I did miss Keith this morning!!)
    Anyway I miss you all, and I know that my experiences in Uganda will remain with me, and challenge me for many years to come, and we will be praying for you all as you continue in Gods will.Hug Wenford for me and I look forward to seeing you all when you get back.Best wishes John X aka Moolaloo

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to hear that you are all still well and enthused about your work even though you must be getting so tired. Prayign for the right opps for next week. Lots of love to you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww misssing u all lots. You all worked so hard yesterday, cant believe there were so many kids! Strange being home again, its taking alot of getting used to having the constant reminder of uganda in my mind.
    Hope all is going well today. We managed to get our mac donalds today...and yes it did taste amazing! Looks like dominos is on the menu for tonight!
    Loving the dance videos!ha
    Praying for u all lots as you's enbrace this last week...
    Keep the updates going...love ya's all my ugandan family. Tracey xoxox

    ReplyDelete